JAG: New York Edition

I am going back to NYC next week. Dork that I am, I've been making a list of restaurants that I would like to go to while I am there, and specific things that I will hopefully be eating at these fine places. It's by no means a compendium of the best food to have in Manhattan, or that I've had in NY. It's mostly my version of comfort food and a reflection of my longing for home.

The Corner Bistro with Follow-up Visit to Magnolia Bakery

Or: The Heart attack special. Cheeseburger, lot of pickles, French Fries and then pop around the corner for a vanilla vanilla cupcake with sprinkles. Maybe take some home for breakfast.

Balthazar

Carmelized Goat Cheese Tart to start and then Steak Frites. Lots of Red Wine and Mirabelle as a digestive.

Pearl Oyster Bar

The Lobster Roll. Though, I hear through the grapevine that since they expanded the space, the Lobster Rolls just aren't as good as they used to be. That would be a terrible tragedy.

Pret A Manger

Not as good as in England, but still pretty good for a quick sandwich. I am trying to figure out my schedule in such a way that I can get one for the plane ride home. Super Club or Coronation Chicken.

Totonno's

Sign on the door - "Only God makes Better Pizzas" There are all kinds of good parlours in NY but this was around the corner from my old apartment, so it's a sentimental thing more than anything else. I'd be happy at John's or Patsy's or even Famous Original Ray's. The actual original one.

La Caridad

The Latin food in L.A. is to die for - but I miss China-Latina on a weekly basis. Cuban food served by Chinese waiters, I survived on rice and beans from here - platanos maduros when I had more money, and when I was rolling in dough - pepper steak. Sawdust on the floor, no ambience, paper placemats with a map of Cuba on them - my family is fond of dives with good food, and once when my mother visited I took her to La Caridad. When we walked in the door, she gripped my arm and whispered loudly in my ear "This is a GOOD place".

Il Fornaio

I found this place when I was a teenager, not even living in the city - just visiting family and going off on my own. I had a calzone there that blew me away - calzone and a pepsi for 5$ including tip. There is a lot of good food in Little Italy (and there are a lot of places that are overrated) but this place has always been one of my favorites. I would walk there during the long lunch breaks they gave us on Jury Duty and have my lunch, then go have cappucine with Frank who owns La Bella Ferrara. When times were tough for me, I remember he offered me a waitressing job. I didn't take the job, but I never forgot how kind that was.

Dallas BBQ

Also known as BBQ's. The chain covers 4 corners - W 72, E73, W. 8 E 8 (St. Marks) I've had better barbeque in my life, but my god, the cornbread is just like cake. This was a big splurge for me when I was in acting school, and we would go to the lower east side restaurant in packs.

The Deli that is just above the North East corner on Amsterdam and 79th Street

I just need to see if they still sell those "dinosaur" cookies. The fact that I am obsessed with shrink wrapped iced sugar or gingerbread cookies is an entry to be saved for another time. I would walk the extra block to catch the M79 on Amsterdam instead of Broadway to see if they had any in stock. If they did, I bought a bunch of them and said they were for the kids I babysat. HAHA THEY WEREN'T !! I FOOLED YOU ALL. I need to see if they were as good as I remember them.

T-Salon

Rather than having a cup of Tibetan Tiger at Tabla, I will just skip the middle man and go to T Salon on 20th and buy it for myself.

H&H Bagels or Ess A Bagel

Anything that's warm. When I lived at the Salvation Army Home For Women on Gramercy Park South, I used to walk over to Ess A Bagel and buy a couple bagels. They were cheap and filling - and warm enough that I could tuck a bag of two in my coat to keep me warm, and eat one while I braved the freezing cold wind back to the place that is "dedicated to the girl away from home."

Sushi Samba

I've had some of the best sushi EVER in Los Angeles, not to mention friggin' Tokyo - but the thing I miss from Sushi Samba is the sweet ice tea and the ceviche.

I'm sure there's more. I'll never be able to fit it all in - and now I am shooting new headshots with my favorite photographer the Saturday I am there - which, sadly throws a wrench in my unbridled eating plans. Saturday night though... well, it IS the city that never sleeps. I can have dinner 3 times if I get an early start.

5 Comments:

  1. hmrpita said...
    A dinosaur cookie and Tibetan Tiger tea please. I like my food in animal form, since I don't eat actual animals.
    Oh. It's Kristen Again. *sigh* said...
    IF they aren't too HEAVY for me to carry back.

    and um... if the dinosaur cookie makes it. It's a long flight.

    okay not that long. But still
    hmrpita said...
    I understand the risk of my request, which is why I will not get my hopes up. As if I ever do. About anything.
    Scott Peterson said...
    Oh, sweet fancy Moses, Ess-a-Bagel...the bagels so impossibly perfect you don't have to actually eat them, they simply liquefy and lovingly slide down your throat of their own happy and oh so generous volition.
    Oh. It's Kristen Again. *sigh* said...
    Funny enough, sometimes I was on the way to your place in Sty town to sit and eat them and read comic books. :)

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2006| Kristen and Lenore: We Made This Blog So You Don't Have To.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without at least sending us a present first.